Sunday, November 15, 2009

Toasty

We have a gas log in our fireplace and I L-O-V-E love it.
We have central heat so it's not like we need the fireplace. But it's oh so lovely.
I light it almost every morning because living in West Texas, it's 40 degrees at 8am and 80 degrees at 4pm. I'd be switching the thermostat from heater to air conditioner daily. Would that be considered high maintenance? Anyway...it's as nice and easy as the hair color. I can just light it with the turn of a knob and then turn it off just as easily when I need to run to the store.
NOTE: It's like a candle in that you shouldn't leave it burning when unattended.
If I had a wood burning fireplace it would hardly ever be used. Chris would have to bring in the firewood and light the fire and then put it out and then sit around to make sure it went out...Chris would do all the work. But with this gas log, it's all me!
Besides all the ease and convenience of this baby, it gives me a great feeling of home.
I love standing in front of it watching the girls play or watching tv. It reminds me of standing in front of the fire at Grandma's. If it was freezing cold outside then it would be freezing cold inside because she didn't have central air. But all you had to do was stand or lay in front of the fire for a few minutes and warm up. For some reason I feel like I always shared the space in front of her fire with either Dad or Grandpa. I'm sure there were others but those are the two that stand out.
I loved the fire at Gana's too. It was always burning on Christmas Eve. Most years it was TOO hot for a fire but one was lit anyway. I think the ceiling fan was usually on at the same time but by golly, it was Christmas. We needed a fire.

Memories of fires in those two homes create coziness and warmth in my soul. I hope my girls will relate someday. I hope they'll make memories around my hearth. And that simply standing in front of a fire will evoke such sweet memories for them too.

4 comments:

  1. Sorry if this is hard to read. I couldn't get the spacing right between the paragraphs. Arghhh! I can't figure it out so I'm done messin' with it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We lit a fire just last night.. It was SO nice. We ate dinner by the fire.. it felt very grown up..

    It made me think of Christmases at my grandparent's house too... only they lit theirs to stay warm.. unlike us doing it for atmosphere..

    All I need is a little Bing Crosby and I'm set for the holiday season!

    I guess you could say I L-O-V-E- love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the pictures of the girls with Chris. How cute is that? I'm surprised Grizzly Adams doesn't prefer the real thing . . . . seeing as how he could light a fire by rubbing two sticks together.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Abby,
    Just make sure he doesn't try to roast a pig in there or anything.

    ReplyDelete